Battlefrontmodels

1/16 SCALE RC TANK MODELS

Welcome to Battlefrontmodels

"Tank Gallery 9"

The following Photographs have been donated by Battlefrontmodels Customers they range from basic customised RC tanks to heavily modified models, if you would like to submit a project to the Tank Gallery please email us at the Battlefront HQ for details.

Winter Recon Patrol

A nicely painted and technically finished Sd.Kfz 251 Halftrack by

Peter Symonds of Nottingham UK

The Sd.Kfz. 251- A Brief History

The Sd.Kfz. 251 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251) Halftrack was an armored fighting vehicle designed and first built by Nazi Germany's Hanomag company during World War II. They were produced throughout the war.

The early production models of this vehicle were issued to the 1st Panzer Division in 1939. There were four main models (A - D), with many variants. The initial idea was for a vehicle that could be used to transport a squad of infantry to the battlefield protected from enemy small arms fire, and with some protection from artillery fire. The open top meant that the crew was still vulnerable, especially to high explosive rounds and shell fragments.

The first two models were produced in small numbers. The C variant had a larger production run, but was a quite complex vehicle to build, involving many angled plates that gave reasonable protection from small arms fire. The D version utilized a much simpler design, and can be easily recognized by its single piece sloping rear (with flat doors).

Although designed for cross country work, it had some limitations as the front wheels were not powered.

The standard personnel carrier version was equipped with a 7.92 mm MG34 or MG42 machine gun mounted at the front of the open compartment, above and behind the driver. A second machine gun was usually mounted at the rear on an anti-aircraft mount.

These vehicles were meant to enable panzergrenadiers to accompany panzers and provide infantry support as required. In practice, there were never enough of them to go around, and many panzergrenadier units had to make do with trucks for transport. Only a very few favored divisions like Panzer Lehr received enough to fully equip their infantry units.

Variants were produced for specialized purposes, including with anti-aircraft guns, light howitzers, anti-tank guns and mortars or even large unguided artillery rockets as well as a version with an infra-red search light used to spot potential targets for associated Panther tanks equipped with infrared detectors.

If you would like a model like this email Peter on http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/

DID YOU KNOW

The Germans said in 1944 that the German soldier fights for the Fuhrer, the Japanese fight for the Emperor and the English soldier fights for the King, but the Americans fight for souvenirs.

A Nice Painted and Fully Kitted Out Tiger 1

From David Gray, Texas, USA

Very nice Tiger David.... I like the accessories..  LOL

DID YOU KNOW

The Panther was fitted with a high velocity 75mm. kwk Type 42 cannon which fired a shell at 3000 feet per second but the M4 Sherman only fired a shell at 2000 feet per second, which tank would you rather be in?

Tamiya Panther 'A' command variant.

"Barkmanns Corner" Normandy'44

Newly finished Tamiya Panther with Schuerzen Side Armour

by Peter Symonds of Nottingham UK.

This is a Tamiya Full option Panther 'G' extensively modified to resemble 424 a Panther 'A' command variant commanded by SS-Oberscharfurher Ernst Barkmann on 20th July 1944 near the village of Le Lorey in Normandy, France. Seperated from the rest of his company whilst his Panther was being repaired after suffering damage from RAF fighter bombers Barkmann was alerted to 15 US Shermans advancing on the village. Quickly moving his damaged panther into position behind some Oak Trees. Barkmannn ambushed the column single handedly destroying nine shermans in a few minutes. He then withdrew and rejoined his company the next day. Barkmann survived the war with over 80 kills to his name and is still alive in 2009.

text by Peter Symonds.

The Panther in Combat

The Panther was intended to supplement the Panzer IV and replace the Panzer III medium tanks. Each German Panzer (armored) division had two tank battalions; the intent was to equip one battalion in each division with Panthers, retaining the lighter, older, but still useful Panzer IV in the other battalion. Beginning in mid-1943, battalions were gradually converted to Panthers.

The Panther first saw action at Kursk on 5 July 1943. Early tanks were plagued with mechanical problems: the track and suspension often broke, and the engine was dangerously prone to overheating and bursting into flames. At Kursk, more Panthers were disabled by their own failings than by enemy action. For example, the XLVIII Panzer Corps reported on 10 July 1943, that they had 38 Panthers operational and 131 awaiting repair, out of about 200 they had started with on 5 July. Heinz Guderian, who had not wanted Hitler to order them into combat so soon, later remarked about the early Panther's performance in the battle: "they burnt too easily, the fuel and oil systems were insufficiently protected, and the crews were lost due to lack of training." Guderian also stated, however, that the firepower and frontal armor were good. While many of the Panthers used at Kursk were damaged or suffered from mechanical difficulties, only a small number was lost for good; the tanks also achieved success, with 263 Soviet tanks claimed destroyed. Although its frontal armour was thinner than the Tiger's, it was also much more sloped and proved harder for Soviet shells to penetrate.

After Kursk, the tanks suffering from damage or mechanical breakdowns were repaired and the inherent design problems of the early Ausf. D models were fixed, making the Panther a truly formidable tank. Later in 1943 and especially into 1944, Panthers appeared in increasing numbers on the eastern front. By June 1944, Panthers were about half of the German tank strength both in the east and the west. At the end of the war it was the third most produced German armored fighting vehicle.

In 1943-1944, a Waffen-SS special operations group was formed by Otto Skorzeny, to infiltrate enemy defenses. A small number of Panthers and Stug-IIIs in this group were repainted with US Army insignia. The Panthers were altered with thin sheet metal to resemble US Army M10 Tank Destroyers.

Perhaps the best known German Panther commander was SS-Oberscharführer Ernst Barkmann of the 2nd SS-Panzer Regiment, 2nd SS-Panzer Division "Das Reich".

Panther turrets, from battle damaged and retired vehicles along with specially manufactured ones, were also mounted in fixed fortifications. Turrets (mechanically traverseable) were mounted on concrete emplacements (Pantherturm III - Betonsockel - concrete base) or welded steel boxes (Pantherturm I - Stahluntersatz - steel sub-base), which housed the ammunition storage and fighting compartment along with crew quarters. Such emplacements were located in the fortifications of the Atlantic Wall, West Wall, Gothic Line, Hitler Line (one of those was located at Piedimonte in Monte Cassino area) and in the east (about 12 in Berlin). A total of 268-280 turrets were installed as of 26 March 1945.

Panther Eastern Front 1944

If you would like a model like this email Peter on http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/

DID YOU KNOW

The Soviet Radio Stations broadcast that every 7 minutes a German Soldier dies in Stalingrad.